Monday, June 8, 2009

Blessings and fragility

What a day. I didn't do a whole lot today - I kind of feel like I'm recuperating from a huge project - well really I am I guess. May was a hugely busy month for us and really, although it is now June, it is now beginning to taper off. Let's put it this way - I was nodding off at dinner last night. Me. That's bad. So thanks to some wonderful in-laws, I was able to take an early bath and go to bed at 8pm. Yes - 8pm. Me, who rarely goes to bed before 12. But my body is still feeling it today. My days activities consisted of a brutal boot camp this morning and then a dentist appointment and then I planted my garden (I bought the plants two weeks ago but there just didn't seem to be the time. I'm actually glad it was raining all afternoon - hopefully they'll get the start they need to be bountiful this year). But I digress.

Going along with the rainy mood and the aches and pains, (and since Drew was going to be late getting home) we decided to come straight home after school and have an early movie night. My pick. So I picked The Parent Trap which I had borrowed from the library. The newer version with Lindsay Lohan (when she was like 12?). It really is a great movie - just as good as the original. But it really made me think - and actually brought me to tears. The mom in the movie is played by Natasha Richardson. Sad that this wonderfully vibrant and beautiful woman is no longer here. Sad that her children no longer have her to share their memories with. How fragile life is. And Lindsay Lohan - so many troubles in her young life. I sometimes think I'm silly about how I let my "TV Life" affect my regular life - and then I have to step back and remind myself though, that these people are human too. Yes they are actors - yes they entertain us, but man they have their troubles. I have been caught up in the whole Jon & Kate plus Eight saga too. I really want them to stop the tv cameras and focus on their family. And to realize that without a great marriage their kids are going to miss out on so much. That all the money in the world will not make them happy - but that having their mom and dad together and happy will. I have been moved to pray for them many times over the last few weeks. I hope they make it! Just now I stopped by NieNie's blog and I am again reminded of how fragile life is. And of how blessed we truly are to be apart of it. i don't know that I could be as open and real as she is.

I was grumpy with Drew tonight about all the volunteering we do - and how I wish there were more to share the load. I know though that we will continue in this way because it is what we are called to do and it is ingrained in us - but we know that family is first and we are learning to make that transition and taking the need to say no seriously. Because you never know where life will take you.

I think that is what I am taking from this snapshot of "tv life" that is somehow part of mine - I am thankful that they remind me of all that I have and all that money and fame can't buy. I don't want a life any different then the one I have right now. We are blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment