Saturday, March 28, 2009
- snacking treats? - sour soothers, wine gums, mike & ikes, hot tomales, shortbread cookies, vanilla oreos, decadent chocolate chip cookies
- scrapbooking supplies - dollar store adhesive - for the price it really does work well; WeR Memory Keepers leather d-ring albums; Photo Freedom book by Stacy Julian;
- My mini do-it -yourself brag books (meant to have on eto give to each of the girls but I ran out of time)
- 12 Dancing Princesses movie and 7th heaven Season One episodes
- Mommy time devotional book
- Glysomed hand cream and ahava foot creams are the best I've found
- Francine River books
- websites mentioned in previous posts like Creationontheweb.com; scrapbooking blogs; organizedchristmas.com; Proverbs 31 ministries blog
- and my ultimate favourite "thing"? I just have to say that the Flylady has changed my life - I showed my control journal which is related to my favourite meals binder, my routines, my timer, my calendar - MY LIFE!!! She has changed my life so much. I feel so less busy, I feel much more organized and in control. God Breezes flow regularly! I'm so glad she taught me to FLY!
Such a fun thing to do!
Sunday, March 22, 2009
Tuesday, March 17, 2009
Monday, March 16, 2009
I decided to base mine a bit more on personal experience. It was as follows: (mostly from the dollar store). Each one had a hand-written tag with an explanation, held on with a metal shower curtain hook.
- a large brightly coloured plastic re-usable bag (I like to be environmentally friendly and we might as well make it fun!)
- a squeegee for the shower (with a quick spray of vinegar and water and a swipe, you won't have to scrub)
- a digital timer (you can do anything for 15 minutes - see http://www.flylady.net/ to see what I mean)
- an assortment of kitchen gadgets (spatulas, spoons, flippers and measuring cups (we all need kitchen gadgets)
- brightly coloured chip clips [they need to be fun colours] (I use them for chips, crackers, fruit, candies etc)
- fancy rubber gloves (if we have to wash dishes we might as well have fun and keep our hands wedding day pretty)
- microfibre dust cloth (again environmentally friendly - no chemicals needed)
- massage cream (no explanation necessary)
- candles (for the romantic evening)
- a scrapbook album for the wedding - 8x8 with spots for photos and journalling and explanations
- a casserole dish (for potlucks of course)
- pampered chef pot scraper (pampered chef is great and these little discs do double duty as spatulas or dish scrapers)
- cutting mats (roll up ones from the dollar store - ideally one each for veggies, fruit, meats and breads)
- a binder with meal preparation information (this one received the most praise) - it was binder with plastic page protectors and plastic page dividers that accomodate them. At the beginning was a note explaining some things (see below). There was also a sheet with headings of all the different types of protein (Beef, poultry, pork, meatless, other), and the names of recipes or foods that are "tried and true" family favourites. Each divider had the same heading with recipes behind it in page protectors. These are favourite recipes and I included ones that our family likes in particular as well as how to roast a turkey and make turkey soup. Many of the ladies really liked this idea and want to make it themselves! I like the page protectors because you can take it out of the binder, let it get splattered, wipe it off and put it back. If you don't like the recipe you replace it!
The letter in the binder describes how I sit with Drew on Sundays and plan next week's activities and meals. Then I check throughout the fridge (cleaning as I need to) and the house for what I need to shop for or use up. I then do my shoping and errands on Monday's. We have found that this saves us time and money. It's also nice to get input from the family as to what they want to eat. For meal plans I get ideas from flylady, saving dinner and fixing dinner websites. We obviously have our favourites as well which I incorporate.
I was a little surprised at all of the attention given to it - really just an assortment of every day things, however a few ladies said that the expertise of experience is really what is priceless. Nevertheless, it was very nice to hear - and as I told them, it really isn't a big deal when you enjoy doing it. I hope she enjoys it as much as I enjoyed putting it together.
Monday, March 9, 2009
I was looking at some pictures the other day and these two just keep talking to me so I thought I'd share. They've just celebrated their 65th wedding anniversary in December.
I love this one of them kissing - they are in their kitchen on Whalen St.
This one is at Little Rock by the cottage - we used to take "hikes" there all the time (probably 5 minutes from the cottage). So many good memories there.
Sunday, March 8, 2009
The Simple Woman for Sunday, March 8, 2009
Outside my [car] window...Snowmobilers on the lake - I can't believe the ice is still strong enough!
I am thinking... I still really want to walk across the lake and it's beatuiful out
I am thankful for...our 12 year long marriage
From the kitchen...wonder what's for dinner, let alone lunch since I didn't have any!
I am wearing...black jeans, orange Eddie Bauer pilling sweater (it's getting old =( )
I am creating... an post to share on my blog about shower gifts
I am going... home
I am reading...still my clutter cutters book with a few new ones to start soon
I am hoping... that the house is quiet
I am hearing... worship music
Around the house... I don't know yet
One of my favourite things... giving a shower gift people are excited about like the scrapbook and the meal planning binder!!!
A few plans for the rest of the week...safe church admin, journal your Christmas!, labels for my stamps, curtains for Cierra's room
Friday, March 6, 2009
Sunday, March 1, 2009
For today...Sunday, March 1
Outside my window... it has gotten dark after a bright and beautiful sunny day.
I am thinking... still a lot to do and not a lot of time left in the day.
I am thankful for... so much but specifically right now? warm gooey brownies fresh from the oven.
From the kitchen... well the brownies of course, and rice krispie squares - finally
I am wearing... my red and white pajamas (the kids are in bed now - comfy time)
I am creating... a new blog post and considering what to do for the new LOAW challenge
I am going... to watch TV very soon
I am reading... the last chapter of "How Did I Get So Busy?"
I am hoping... to be able to go for a run tomorrow and that it won't be too cold.
I am hearing... Drew laugh in the background
Around the house... all is quiet
One of my favourite things... warm brownies (a little obsessed I think)
A few plans for the rest of the week... some safe church and summer camp prep! Finish up some nearly finished projects.