Friday, October 30, 2009

While I'm Waiting

The news and email have been full of information and opinions about the H1N1 and the vaccine. I am totally up in arms about it - so much so that I've sort of worked myself into a bit of a tither. I've never gotten a flu shot (at least not for several years) and we really try to go as natural as possible around here. I rarely take medication and thankfully am rarely sick with more then a runny nose and maybe a sore throat once a year. We try to let the kids' illnesses run their course and keep the antibiotics until absolutely necessary. I guess I tend to be of the mindset that we need to let our bodies build up natural immunities and fight what we can.

I am also not sure that a lot of this isn't hype and hysteria. We regularly get emails telling us natural course of action to take and why the flu shot isn't necessary. Yes we need to question the sources and we need to really weigh the information. There again lies some difficulty with family being in the medical business although the plus side is we are able to get things checked out very quickly and conveniently. Tough sometimes though. Especially when it comes to serious issues like this.


So anyway, I've really been struggling with this especially given that I am now in the "vulnerable" group. Which gives me even more questions.

So I've been praying. A lot. About discernment. And why can't I just be told blatantly with a big billboard - "Alison - do this"! I know it doesn't work this way. I also have a tendency to over read overwork over think things. Like the following:

Today I was reading an email about the flu and the vaccine and again, just really pondering what I should be doing - for me and for the kids. As I got to the section on pregnancy, my heart started beating faster and I was just like "Ahhh - I'm so confused - what do I do?" Then I caught the words of the song on the radio. Read the lyrics:

I'm waiting
I'm waiting on You, Lord
And I am hopeful
I'm waiting on You, Lord
Though it is painful
But patiently,

I will wait
I will move ahead, bold and confident
Taking every step in obedience
While I'm waiting
I will serve You
While I'm waiting
I will worship
While I'm waiting
I will not faint
I'll be running the race
Even while I wait I'm waiting
I'm waiting on You, Lord
And I am peaceful I'm waiting on You, Lord
Though it's not easy
But faithfully, I will wait
Yes, I will wait I
will serve You while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting
I will serve You while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting
I will serve you while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting on You, Lord

And while I listened to the song, it brought tears to my eyes and get this - I actually felt the baby move for the first time. So, more tears.

So at this point I am waiting. For what? Til the 20 week point? To get more opinions? I don't know. That's my over analyzing part. So I'm trying to be patient, to be trusting, to follow good health practices and just wait.

By the way, I recognized the song but not who it was by. I actually emailed the radio station who relayed that it was "While I'm Waiting" by John Waller from the movie Fireproof (watch the song video).

No comments:

Post a Comment