Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Convicted!

Do you ever have something that you just begin to feel strongly that you shouldn't do? It's amazing how when you feel you are to be doing something all the signs around you seem to focus on that very thing. I am finding right now. I am totally being convicted about some of the things I watch on tv. Primarily CSI and CSI Miami. I'm beginning to see how when God really wants us to do something He shows us in MANY ways.

Drew has talked to me for ages about getting rid of cable because of all the junk on tv these days. And of course to save some money. I'm not quite ready to go there yet. We really don't watch that much - maybe an hour or two a day after the kids are in bed and even then I'm usually multitasking - although I'm even finding that difficult lately. The kids get treehouse and some specific PVR'd shows as well as movies (an hour of computer OR tv a day - some days they get it, other days we run out of time). When we did the tv watching survey a few months ago I was surprised but we didn't really watch much during that period - we were just too busy. But I still tape things to watch in the summer when the shows are off - and I do get a few marathon watching days in there too. But I am finding it harder and harder to catch up. And Drew is right - a lot of what we watch is crap. Mindless and I hate to say it, violent. So I'm thinking it is time.

The book I have been reading - Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World has been discussing listening to God and what happens when we disobey and what happens when we obey. We are reminded, "Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me." John 14:21. Yikes! "When we refuse to listen to the Lord we shut him out". We miss out on all he has in store for us. I want more! And I want to be able to hear His voice!

Todays post was convicting as well. I think this part struck me the most.

"The reality for me is I can't "dance" around sinful deeds, thinking I'm safe because I haven't acted on them. Jesus is calling me to stay far away from sin … in my actions and in my thoughts. If I dance around a cactus long enough, I will eventually get stuck. And if I dance with sin long enough in my mind, I'll get stuck too. And while forgiveness and healing is available through Christ, that kind of stuck leaves scars I don't want." Right on. It's not like I think I'm going to go out and murder someone- or that I am that interested in being a CSI officer myself but I think it is possible to become less sensitive to these issues - to in a sense glorify this type of behaviour the more we watch and allow that material to be a part of our lives. And what does that say about me?

If I know this then why has it been so hard to let go? It's incredible how long I've come up with excuses - "I'll just watch one more"; "I can always rent them later"; "I'll watch them when Drew isn't home"; "I'll catch up in the summer". It's not like there aren't good things on tv - or movies to rent - or tonnes of books I want to read!

So enough ranting, enough procrastinating - I hear you Lord - it's enough - CSI is purged! I pray some good will come from it! And specifically I reiterate the above postings prayer:

Dear Lord, thank You for giving us warnings about sin. I sometimes think I have no control over my mind. But I know that's not true. You have offered me help to take thoughts captive. Please reveal those areas in my thought life that need to change. I want to bring honor and glory to You in all areas of my life. In Jesus' Name, Amen

Thanks Proverbs 31 Ministries!

No comments:

Post a Comment