Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy Earth Day!

Happy Earth Day Everyone!

Everyonewho knows me knows that the environment is a bit of a passion with me. Today on my run I couldn't believe the amount of garbage I saw strewn all around our neighbourhood. We live in a pretty affluent neighbourhood (not that that means anything) - but it surprises me how little we do to control this behaviour. Even the school ground is littered with garbage. Granted we don't have any garbage cans around either (issues of bees I think??? - obviously not right now though!!!) but why is it that we can't take our garbage with us? I have two pastic bags attached to my strollers for garbage and recycling now because it is always around us. Even the kids comment on the pieces and grab them as we go by (yes I also have wipes and gloves). (I've trained them well=))

Soooo, being earth day - we are going to spend a half hour after school picking up garbage on our way home. I love our neighbourhood and I love how it looks and I want to keep it that way!

PS - why is this a passion of mine? Genesis 1:28 says "God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill hte earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground". The Life Application version discusses that "to rule over" something is to have absolute authority and control over it. We are given the responsibilty from God to take care of the environment and the other creatures that share our planet. We shouldn't be careless and wasteful with all that we have been given. God wasn't careless is how he created the earth and we shouldn't be careless in how we take care of it.

10pm - it was raining when I picked the kids up (not when I left of course so no umbrella) so needless to say they wanted to go straight home. We'll see what we can do tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment