Wednesday, March 16, 2011

March Good Food Box

I almost missed this one! I realized at 5:10 that this was the 3rd Tuesday of the month and I hadn't checked the dates. Sure enough, it was today - and it figures I was already out and could have picked it up. We quickly got bundled up and got there with just minutes to spare.

Here is what we got for $10:
  • 10 lb bag of red potatoes
  • 1 large cabbage (yikes - I still haven't used mine from last month [yes it is still good], I put some in the butternut squash soup which worked well but I'm scrambling for ideas that my family will eat - there is only so much freezer room!)
  • 1 2lb bag onions
  • 2 small oranges
  • 3 delicious apples
  • 1 small bag snap peas
  • 1 head of broccoli
  • 2 turnip (real turnip not the rutabaga one)

Again, the great part of the Good Food Box is that you purchase it in advance (when you have cash) and you pick it up on the third Tuesday of each month (when your cash may be getting low). This is located in a downtown location on the bus route and is aimed to help those may have financial difficulty towards the end of the month and gives good nutritious, fresh food. The more who buy into it, the more spending power they have and the more variety or quantity is provided. All in all a win-win situation. It is definitely worth $10 (small version).

No comments:

Post a Comment