Saturday, November 13, 2010

Fresh from the farm


I forgot to mention that the other day when we were at the surprise party we got talking with some older friends we hadn't seen for a while. It turns out they are living a little out of town on a small hobby farm. And they are raising chickens! Over 60 to be exact. Actually those are just the laying chickens. They just got their meat chickens harvested and will wait to that again until spring. Anyway, I made arrangements to call and then to visit so that I might get some of their "produce". I went out on Wednesday and after a lovely visit, tour of the house and farm, I got 4 chickens and 2 dozen fresh eggs. I was so excited! Marlee got along really well with their daughter at the party and was actually quite upset that she couldn't come with me to the farm but I promised that if this went well that we would all go out some weekend together. After this visit we will be sure to do so.

Thursday night I made a roast chicken and roasted root vegetables. It was so yummy! I did up carrots, parsnips, turnip, sweet potato and potato in maple syrup and balsamic vinegar. They got a little overdone but were still really good. I will be making them again for sure. It is so nice to know what we are eating and how it got there. So much healthier!

No comments:

Post a Comment