Thursday, December 3, 2009

From Cards to Joy...

We haven't received any Christmas cards yet and ours certainly aren't ready to be given out. I haven't actually decided what we're doing for ours yet. I had to cancel our photo shoot at Zehrs for tomorrow because Matt has his final dress rehearsal for his play. I wasn't able to reschedule until Dec 29! This doesn't actually mean much in our world - for many years our cards get sent out after Christmas in order to coordinate getting Matt's birthday photos at the same time. Then I gave that up in return for getting the cards out on time. This year I am dappling with the idea of making my own digital card with current photos of each of us being"us". We'll see. I'm still on that [steep] PSE learning curve.



Basic stats about cards?

I forgot to buy stamps today - I think they are about 52 cents now. It's been along time since I've actually mailed a letter!Last year we sent out 60? cards - I plan on about the same this year. We usually receive a tonne from people at church and around 20 or so mail ins.

We usually sign and give a quick hello along with a typed letter explaining all that has gone on in the year. I figure i love to receive them so I hope they do too!

I do keep a list of who we receive from and who we give to. We generally don't give to everyone at church - there are just too many!





Joy is my middle name so it is a special word. The dictionary definition says this:


The passion or emotion excited by the acquisition or expectation of good; pleasurable feelings or emotions caused by success, good fortune, and the like, or by a rational prospect of possessing what we love or desire; gladness; exhilaration of spirits; delight.
That which causes joy or happiness.
The sign or exhibition of joy; gayety; mirth; merriment; festivity.
To rejoice; to be glad; to delight; to exult.
To give joy to; to congratulate.
To gladden; to make joyful; to exhilarate.
To enjoy.


For me it essentially means things that make us happy, things that help us be content I guess. What brings me Joy? Today both younger kids spontaneously showed their love. Matt has been doing this a lot lately! Marlee is so huggy right now too. Cierra - she even asked for a hug! Drew brings me joy - he bought me flowers out of the blue today! I got lots of things crossed off my to do list and the kids to do list (like their icky cupcakes - but it made them happy!) - that brings me joy; It brings me great joy that the kids are excited about and ask for the advent story and lighting of the candle; The smell of the new Creme brule candles today brought me joy as well s the smell of freshly baked muffins. Getting out for dinner with just Drew brought me joy. Heading off to bed a wee bit early now is going to bring me joy - very soon! Feeling this life inside me brings me joy! Isn't joy awesome???

No comments:

Post a Comment