Friday, September 17, 2010

I am learning what it means to have no wants or needs...

Wow. Did I really say that? Let me explain myself. I think I am learning what it means to be content. This is the first year that when asked what I might want for my birthday, I really don't have anything to say. I don't really have a wish list. And that is big. For me anyway.

Don't get me wrong, there are certainly a few things I would use, and wouldn't turn away. I like digital scrapbooking and am building my supplies up almost as much as my paper supply =). I would love to update my laptop but the one I have right now is still doing me well. I would also love to get a zoom lens for my camera but I need to do research before I know what to get and I still don't even know how to take my camera off the automatic mode.

We could use a new microwave considering ours just broke. Neither our dishwasher or water softener are working. As for me personally? I get my books from the library. I have all the clothes I need. We have food on the table every day. Our cars work. Thankfully we are financially stable and will be able to replace the household items we do seem to need. What more do I need or want?

I did [jokingly] ask if I could get more time. Even there I know where to find it and that would involve "unplugging". Oh wait - that is what I want the time for - to catch up on my 365, to upload and tag my photos, to do Mitchell's POTD, to learn PSE. LOL! ~ such a common theme.

The point is that maybe I really am learning to simplify. Maybe I am learning to cut down. Maybe I am learning to be get by with less. Maybe I am just learning to be content. That is a lesson I am so glad to be learning.

The kids asked if we were "rich" today and we had a good discussion about how in earthly terms there are certainly many who have even more then us but in truth we really are rich by the world's standards. [Coincidentally] T Suzanne Eller from Proverbs 31 Ministries spoke on treasure today, again reminding me of how truly blessed we are. I think I am beginning to get it. I am truly thankful for this reminder.

From Suzanne's words, Dear Jesus, ...I pray I will see the vast riches around me, things others might not see as wealth, but in the end they are the most priceless. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

"Don't store up treasures here on earth, where moths eat them and rust destroys them, and where thieves break in and steal." Matthew 6:19 (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment